5 Easy Steps to Set Your Career Goals!
As we approach the end of another year and the start of 2017, we often reflect and set goals for the following year.
How do you set career goals when you don’t know which career you want or how do you move forward in your current career?
Here are 5 easy steps to help you set career goals for the new year!
1. Gain clarity on your career vision
Brainstorm your career goals by asking yourself these three questions:
- What is your dream job?
- If you don’t succeed, what would you want to do?
- How do you want to be remembered for the work that you do?
Make sure you write down the answers so you can reflect on these throughout the year.
2. Make decisions about your careeR
Understanding what your interests and values are is a huge factor in making a decision regarding your career direction.
You might need some assistant making a career decision.
A Career Counsellor can assist you by using some assessment tools such as Strong Interest Inventory Assessment or Knowdell Career Values test.
3. Make the decision to invest in yourself
- Give yourself time to reflect on what you enjoy
- Invest in education
- Exercise – a healthy body leads to a healthy mind
- Book a session with a Career Counsellor.
4. Set your goals – short term and long term
Long term goals can be a great motivator for self improvement. They give us objectives that we can strive to achieve.
An example of a long term goal is you want to become a registered nurse. How are you going to achieve this goal? How will you go from being a person who has five years experience in retail to a registered nurse?
This is when short term goals come in. They give you objectives to strive for in the near future.
Short term goals I might consider to achieve my long term goal of becoming a nurse could be:
- Attend a career expo to find out more information on nursing
- Arrange to speak to that friend of a friend who is a nurse
- See a Career Counsellor to set you on the right path
- Enrol in a First Aid course or TAFE course relating to nursing.
5. Follow the plan
Make sure you write down your plan. A goal setting sheet can really help.
Contact us to obtain a free Career Goal Setting Plan.
A Career Counsellor can assist with all of the steps above.
Career Guidance Australia specialises in assisting people to make decisions on their careers and helps them set realistic goals.
We have the tools to help. Make the time to invest in your future, contact us today to discuss how we can help you find your new career.